Ugh! Luke ran away from me this morning when we were grocery shopping. I had him in the cart but he was screaming and crying to walk next to me. I should have known better. He was good for about 2 minutes before he took off running. He's pretty fast. He turned the corner and was up the next aisle. I called for him to come back but it was just a game to him at that point. Mind you I have a huge cart with me (the type with the car in the front, that are impossible to maneuver). I decided to abandon the cart to chase after him.
At that point, I couldn't find him. I searched some more and called out his name. I was starting to freak out. I asked a cashier for help. She asked my name and said she'd page me if she found him, then went back to her lane and continued checking people out! She didn't call anyone! I asked the customer service lady for help and she paged "Luke, please come to the customer service counter". Seriously! I told her he was only two prior to the page. I was shocked that there wasn't some system for finding lost kids. I mean, it's a huge store. I'm sure this wasn't the first time a defiant toddler took off.
The total lack of urgency on behalf of the store employees was freaking me out even more. All of the "what if" scenarios were running through my head. I was crying and frantically running around trying to find him. I had to ask every employee that I came across to help me. Finally someone found him! I strapped him in tight to the cart and finished my shopping. When I checked out, the only cashier was the lady who blew me off initially. She had the nerve to say "Now, you keep him strapped in." As if I needed to be scolded, I already felt pretty crappy. I am emotionally drained.
No comments:
Post a Comment