Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Baby Naming
I've become a baby name snob. My favorite websites are Nameberry.com and Appellationmountain.net , where fellow baby name snobs congregate and collectively roll our eyes when someone names their baby "Nevaeh" or "Jayden". Girls names have always been easier for me. They can take more whimsy than boys names. If Luke had been a girl we would have named him Audrey and this baby would been Juniper (with the nickname June) but alas, we're still searching for the perfect boy name.
We like classic, sturdy sounding names. Something that works well with Luke in style and isn't too matchy-matchy. I'm not a fan of creative spellings. I feel it sets kids up for a lifetime of correcting the spelling and a negative interection when meeting someone for the first time. And since our last name is Stetson we don't want any names that also end in -son (like Hudson) or ends in an -s (like Louis). We don't have any set plans on making the name a surprise but we might not decide until after he is born and get a good look at him.
Here's what we have so far:
Levi- super cowboy name. Alan loves it... I don't like the alliteration with Luke but I like the name.
Archer- with the nickname of Archie. I LOVE this name.... Alan not so much. It's got a fun 50's vibe.
Henry- We both like this one. The nickname of Hank is adorable and sounds very western with Stetson (but most names sounds pretty western with Stetson). Alan likes the Indiana Jones reference (the character's real name was Henry).
Dean- strong, short, classic name. Lots of cool Dean's... Dean Martin, James Dean, etc
Andrew (Andy)- This is Luke's favorite. It reminds me of the kid in Toy Story.
Jude- Beatles classic and British form of John.
Cash- I think this might be a little too cool for us but it's becoming more popular.
Taylor- I'm pretty sure we've settled on this being the middle name. It's a family name on Alan's dad's side.
Bruce- I'm not seriously considering this name but Alan likes it since there are so many badass Bruce's out there: Bruce Wayne, Bruce Willis, Bruce Springsteen.
Liam- a very current Irish name but again it has the alliteration thing going on with Luke
Sam- not such a big fan on Samuel
Finn- maybe Finley... Alan isn't into it though
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Picking out the name is not only important but can be so much fun or a long process if you can't agree on it!! We named our son after both his grandfathers. George (my father in law) Mitchell (my father). Plus it turned out to be a very strong name!
I like the name Dean. That is my vote! (as if my vote counts) ;)
I am sure you don't need my help at all but I can't control myself. I love throwing out baby name ideas.
Here they are:
Dylan
Jace
Patrick
Nathaniel
Scott
James
Gavin
Carter
Wyatt
George
Mitchell (Mitch)
I wish you luck on the hunt for the perfect name!
How fun! My comments:
Levi- LOVE Levi Stetson!
Archer/ Archie- super cute!
Jude- a favorite, but my friend already named her kid Jude so I'm not going to but YOU can ;)
Taylor- We want to use this as a middle name too! It's also one of Chris's middle names.
Bruce- Don't do it. It's hard to say "Bruce Stetson".
Liam- cute!
Finn- I also like this one!
Post a Comment