Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Homebirth

Baby Luke


We've chosen a homebirth  for this baby which is either met by fear from those who love us, negative judgment from those who think we are ignorant, or solidarity from those within the natural birthing community. Either way there are lots of strong options on how one should have a baby. Conventional opinion is that it be done in a hospital with an OB. However, when in a hospital you loose autonomy. Even if you want to have a unmediated birth you will face hospital policies and several interventions that you'd have to fight when in a very valuable position.

Most hospitals require continuous fetal monitoring (belt strapped around you), an IV, frequent cervical checks (very uncomfortable), use of labor augmentation tools if labor is not progressing at one centimeter per hour (Pitocin, breaking water, etc), and not much choice when it comes to what positions you labor in (mostly on your back in bed). You will also most likely get an episiotomy. When these interventions are "offered" it goes some thing like this: While in the middle of a contraction the Dr. says "I'm going to give you a little episiotomy". Notice how they don't ask but just tell you. That is their idea of informed consent. Been there, done that.

With these interventions, I'm at a much increased risk of c-section and infection. Not to mention the crazy long list of epidural risks (including maternal or fetal death). This is not to say that homebirth doesn't have risks. I don't have an OR in my house in case of emergency. But I do live within 1 mile of a hospital and have a very experienced midwife that is not afraid to transfer me if any warning signs should pop up. My midwife can also stop hemorrhages and is trained in infant resuscitation. She carries oxygen, pitocin, and bunch of other medications in case of emergency. She carries a doppler and monitors the baby closely during labor. I have a lot of faith that I can do this and that it is natural to labor and birth without intervention however, I wouldn't rely on faith to make medical decisions as they come up.


Ideally, I image that I go into labor at my home. It will probably be cold and rainy outside and warm and cozy inside. Alan and Luke will be here. I won't have to worry about getting in the car to get to the hospital. I can freely wander my house, get in and out of the shower, eat and drink when I want to, and get into what ever position is comfortable. There won't be any strangers telling me what to do. I will be safe and free to be vulnerable because my team knows and supports me.

1 comment:

Jessica and Blaine said...

Good for you! I am excited to see pictures of the new little one! Everyone has their own thoughts on what people should do but it is truly up to you and your family and what ever you decide is what is best for you! I support you 100%! Love you all and can not wait to meet the new bundle of joy!!!!