Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Directions please


As I get closer to applying to nursing school I feel pulled in another direction. I have been thinking about this for some time, but being a focused person I have refused to indulge the idea of changing my mind. Through my own experience, extensive research, and encounters with the culture I have been considering becoming a Midwife. Not completely different than a Nurse, but overall different philosophies on the medical field and what should be apart of routine care and what shouldn't. I am very passionate about providing birth choices for women.
I haven't decided. If I went into nursing I would not want to work in Labor and Delivery, the hospital policies and skyrocketing c-section rates drive me crazy. Either way, it's still an Associates degree and about the same amount of time to complete. I think both would be very rewarding. Nursing would allow me to work less for more money. As a Midwife, I would run my own business. I'm probably romanticizing the idea of being a Midwife a little bit. The reality is long hours and a practice that could take years to develop. Plus, my mom is a little skeptical of midwives... especially when they birth outside of hospitals. Maybe that's why I want to do it! She'll be thrilled when I tell her that our next baby will be born at home ;)
I don't know... I'm a little lost.

1 comment:

kathy shannon said...

you are incorrect - I love midwives! Both justin and tracy were delivered by them. I just am not so sure of a "Lay Midwife" But whatever you do, I know you will be great at it and I will be proud. Sorry if that blows the rebellious thing.
Love you mom