Sunday, August 8, 2010

Even more unsure

So... I am getting very excited about the idea of being a Midwife but I haven't made any decisions. The Seattle Midwife program has recently changed to a 3 year Bachelors to Masters program (!!!!). Which would be give me a Masters in Science of Midwifery and then I could test with the state to get my Midwife License (not a lay midwife, they aren't licensed). It's an intense program that goes year round and would not allow me to work since so much of my training would be at live births (read: unpredictable times and long hours). Here's a link to the program:
http://www.seattlemidwifery.org/midwifery-education/two-degree-opt.html

But the super bad news: it's expensive! $25,000 a year! Even with financial aid we would have to get a substantial amount in student loans. Is it worth it to go in debt for a degree? If so, how much? Plus, once I get the degree who knows how long it would take me start making some good money.

The other option is to become a Nurse-Midwife, which is also a Masters degree. There is a program at The University of Washington but it would take longer and is very hard to get into. Nurse-Midwives practice mostly in hospitals, Licensed midwives practice in birth centers and home births. There would be more funding available for a nurse-midwife program and I would already have my RN and could potentially work. Blahhh I'm rambling now. Still very unsure.

1 comment:

kathy shannon said...

Hi Erika - Bastyr is a great school! If you go to the midwife program there it is a degree program - so you will qualify for financial aid. Likely, much of this will be covered, but some student loans are inevitable - ah well - you just make monthly payments! It is better to work at a job you love doing, as you will spend lots of your life working. Don't let finances be the deciding factor - that will work out. Also - this is a one of a kind program - and in your neighborhood! Love mom