
Does that make me sound crazy? I don't care. Chickens are awesome. We have a big backyard and Luke would LOVE them. Plus... free eggs (well not free, you have to pay for chicken food)! Organic free range eggs can run up to $6 a dozen and they aren't even super fresh. When the hens stop laying you get a chicken dinner. Actually, not sure if that'll pan out since I've never killed an animal before. But I'm sure you can pay someone to do it for you.
I've got my eye on this modern looking chicken coop. It's plastic (meaning easy clean up). It holds 3-4 hens and has a pull out draw to get the eggs or to clean up. It runs about $200 plus shipping. The chickens themselves are pretty cheap; about $3 each. Any extra eggs we don't eat we can sell. I figure we'll recoup our costs within a year.
It'll mean extra work. And I have to figure out what to do with them when we go out of town.
I just have to convince Al.

1 comment:
Great idea! Just make sure you train Luke to be a good helper. Could be a great way for him to learn responsibility and where food comes from.
Post a Comment