Friday, May 20, 2011

Baby Bradly

Bradly Allen
Tracy finally had her baby last Sunday, 11 days overdue. Being overdue is a special kind of hell. I was only over by a week, I can only imagine what 11 days feels like. Tracy's Midwife suspects that she just has a longer gestational time than most since Aliya was also 11 days past her date and neither showed any signs of being overdue when they were born. That being said, Bradly was a big baby at 9lbs 14.7oz and 23 in!

It was really amazing to be at this birth. I was at Aliya's birth but I was kind of a deer in the headlights. After my own baby's birth and lots of research into the birthing process/ practices this birth was not scary at all (though very exciting). For example when Tracy threw up during labor (sorry if that's too much info) I empathized with her but, I knew that was a good sign of a progressing labor. Sue, Tracy's midwife, is a great teacher and let me help out. I got to clamp the cord (Craig cut it), clean off Bradly and fetched whatever they needed. Speaking of Craig, he was really supportive of Tracy. Is was beautiful to see him take such good care of my sister during the birth. He only left her side to eat and go the bathroom. And Tracy was soooo strong! It's hard to describe the emotion of a birth... it's intense, trans formative, and beautiful. It renewed my desire to someday do birth type work, whatever form that takes.


We came to visit briefly the next day before heading home. I don't think Tracy got much sleep there. It seems awkward to be a patient in a hospital that you work at. At least it was the weekend and she didn't have a bunch of people coming to visit.


Luke was slightly interested in the baby until I held him. Then he started acting up to get some attention. In the days following he has taken a step backwards in the potty training department and has even requested a bottle! Sheeesh!

No comments: