Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Family Visit and California Trip #4

The Newlyweds aka Chris and Erin at the 1st Starbucks

Alan's brother and wife (Chris and Erin) came to visit us last week. They wanted to check out the area as a possible place to relocate if things in CA get too expensive and, of coarse, to hang out with us. It was a short trip but we packed it in... Pike Place market, Redhook brewery, The Pink Door (my favorite restaurant), Mukilteo waterfront to watch the ferries and get some fresh fish & chips, and tour some of the hip neighborhoods. After all that we all took the same flight to CA.


Luke at the market, rubbing the golden pig for good luck.

Erin tickling Luke

Luke at the Mukilteo waterfront. He was throwing rocks into the water and eventually fell in. He was soaking wet!

I know I was just complaining about spending money on traveling (and hence vowing to be a better saver), however this trip has been planned for a while. We came down for my dad's 50th birthday! He's a young 50 (if there is such a thing). There were many joke gifts such as depends, hemorrhoid cream, and ensure.

Everyone (minus Al, he's taking the picture)

Russ being adorable

Luke is crying because he wanted me to pick him up.


Marie and Justin, she's looking so grown-up!

The grand kids bought this gift for grandpa. At one point we decided to name it, but I can't remember what we came up with (Seymour?). My dad had fun finding flies to feed it.


Dad opening is presents... a polo shirt (an everyday staple for him)

Luke and Marie eating birthday cake. Ashley made a German chocolate cake for my dad (his favorite). It was yummy!

Luke hitting Russ. He was super jealous whenever I got near him. Juggling two kids is hard!

We did three cities in three days! A little too much, but we wanted to see as many friends and family as possible. Day one: LA for dad's birthday party. Day two: Oxnard and playing at the beach. Day three: Santa Barabra, walked state street/saw more family and friends. We did pretty good with money. We didn't stay in any hotels and only bought 3 meals (all under $20 each). I'd say the whole trip cost under $600, much less than we normally spend :)

I'm not sure it's because traveling is harder with Luke but I don't seem to miss California as much. I do feel very relaxed when I'm in my home town but Washington feels that way too. We'll see how I feel come February when the sun doesn't come out until 8:30am and it's dark by 4pm.

No comments: